Follow Me!

Twitter - @runmagsrun .:. Pinterest - pinterest.com/runmagsrun

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Are You A Friendly Runner?

I found this article on Runner's World's website last week - Ask Dr. Daily: Why Some Runners Don't Wave. The tongue-in-cheek article claims that there's a little area in the brain called "Steve." Steve's in normal runners (Normal? I'm not sure that ANY runner is normal, but I digress...) allow them to be friendly and cordial while running while those with smaller than average Steves have "C.S.R.S." or "Chronic Sullen Runner Syndrome." People with normal Steves tend to wave or at least nod an acknowledgement to fellow runners and those poor souls afflicted with C.S.R.S. are stone-cold sober on their runs

I really had to laugh through this article. I'm always excited to see another runner (or walker, biker, unicyclist, underwater basket weaver, gymnast, whatever) when I'm out on my route and will at least give a smile and a nod, if not as friendly of a "Hi" as I can muster at the time. I've certainly encountered my fair share of C.S.R.S runners, though, who can't seem to be bothered enough to wave to a fellow runner. I mean, we share a common thread...just be friendly!

I'm not crazy friendly at races, like my half marathon in Pittburgh this past May, purposely running up to get high-fives from people. I'm there to race and, frankly, moving to the side of the street to high-five people adds up. I don't want to run any further and any longer than I need to!

Runners, to me at least, seem to be a really friendly sort of people. My half marathon in May was my first big race and everyone I encountered was so nice. I met up with some other runners at my hotel's continental breakfast at 5 a.m. and they were already chipper and cheerful, asking me if this was my first big race and if I was nervous and telling everyone good luck. The start line area was a total CF on race morning and all I wanted to do was pee, but the lines to the port-a-potties were so long that I wasn't sure I'd have enough time to get in there and back to my corral before the start. Luckily, there were some really friendly girls that were on their way past who told me about a totally deserted pod of potties just down from the nightmare lines. They didn't have to tell me, but I'm sure they could see the utter panic on my face. Overall, they were just such nice people and one of the reasons why I really want to run that half marathon again.

No comments:

Post a Comment